Rejuvenation vs Slowing of Aging
There are two roads to human longevity: slowing down the aging process or reversing it. So far, we are only capable of slowing down the aging process. It isn’t difficult to imagine why it would be easier to slow down aging rather than finding ways to rejuvenate. Rejuvenation is the process of converting from an older to a younger state of being.
The fountain of youth is elusive and long-sought-after. Aging is associated with a myriad of age-associated diseases. Undoubtedly, the reversal of aging would change civilization on an inconceivable level.
Aging is a holistic process
Aging theories have mainly focused on the damage that one accumulates over time such as DNA damage, free radicals, telomeric (the ends of DNA shorten over time). Although advance, these theories have yet to explain aging fully. Damage-centric theories examine only single aspects of aging. Aging is a systemic, whole-system, process.
Researchers found that reducing your caloric intake (without malnutrition) can extend healthy life from yeast to Rhesus monkeys. This has been a promising target for human aging. Simply put, how much you eat and what eat may determine how long you live.
Anti Aging Supplements
A healthy dietary intake is important in controlling brain aging as well as prolonging lifespan. What food components are beneficial for antiaging?
Here we review the top 5 naturally occurring best anti aging supplements.
- Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
Quercetin is a flavonoid found in fruits and vegetables which has powerful antioxidant activity. Quercetin increases brain glutathione levels and radical removal activity. Quercetin can be found black elderberry, oregano, onions, apples and grapes. In aging animal models, long-term quercet in slowed effects of aging on the brain. Quercetin can be purchased as an anti aging supplement.
Here are the best quercetin anti aging supplements:
- Jarrow Formulas Quercetin Cardiovascular Support 500mg 100 Veggie Capsules
- NOW Quercetin with Bromelain 120 Veggie Capsules
- BulkSupplements Quercetin Dihydrate Powder 250 grams
2. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is found in green tea and black tea. EGCG was found to inhibit oxidation-induced aging in human dermal fibroblasts (collagen producing cells).
Green tea or black tea?Green tea contains much more polyphenols than black tea. Green tea contains 27mg/100mL and black tea contains 9 mg/100mL of epigallocatechin gallate.
Here are naturally sourced green tea anti aging products:
- Nobi Nutrition Green Tea Formula EGCG Extract Pills
- Zenwise Green Tea Extract EGCG & Vitamin C Decaffeinated Pills
- Yogi Green Tea Super Antioxidant 96 Tea Bags
Curcumin is the yellow pigment of the turmeric plant. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Treatment with curcumin in animals increased their lifespan. One major obstacle is its administration since it has poor oral bioavailability. New strategies such as curcumin-loaded micelles may improve delivery of curcumin.
Here are a few good sources of high-quality curcumin anti aging supplements:
- BioSchwartz Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine 1500mg
- NatureWise Organic Curcumin Turmeric 2250mg
- Smarternutrition 95% Tetra-Hydro Curcuminoids
Tocotrienols are part of the Vitamin E family and are found in wheat germ, barley, crude palm oil, oats, rice bran. Tocotrienols have powerful antioxidant activity. More so, Tocotrienols have anti-cancer properties as well as anti-aging properties. Tocotrienols slow down the accumulation of senescent cells (aka aging cells) in healthy tissue. Amazingly, they speed up the aging cells in cancer cells.
In elderly patients, supplementation with tocotrienols for 6 months reduced DNA damage, cognitive impairment and osteoporosis. Finally, the amount of tocotrienol in blood levels are inversely associated with Alzheimer’s disease risk. Tocotrienol can be purchased as an anti aging supplement.
Here are the top tocotrienols anti aging supplements:
- Sun Potion Tocos Powder 200g – Organic Rice Bran Solubles
- Healthy Origins Tocomin SupraBio (Tocotrienols) 50mg, 150 softgels
- A.C. Grace – Unique E Tocotrienol Complex 125mg, 60 softgels
5. Piperlongumine (PL)
Piperplongumine (PL) is a naturally occurring alkaloid in long pepper (Piper longum). Peppers are the most common spices consumed worldwide. But they do more than just make your food taste better; they may also fight against cancer cells and have anti aging properties. Piperplongumine is widely used in traditional medicine in Asia and the Pacific islands. Literature shows that piperlongumine can suppress cancer cells. Recently, it has been shown to kill human aging cells. Piper longum can be purchased as an anti aging product.
Here are the top piperlongumine anti aging supplements:
- Banyan Botanicals Pippali Long Pepper Ayurvedic Certified USDA Organic Spice Jar
- Bixa Botanical Piper Longum Powder Ayurvedic Herbal Supplement 1 pound (16 Oz)
- Indiveda Organic Pippali Root (Piper longum) powder 100 grams
- Alic, N., and Patridge, L. Death and dessert: nutrient signalling pathways and ageing. Current Opinion in Cell Biology. 2011; 23(6): 738-743
- Galkin, F. et al. Reversibility of irreversible aging. Ageing Research Reviews. 2019; 49: 104-114
- Georgousopoulou, E., et al. Tocotrienols, health and ageing: A systematic review. Maturitas. 2017; 95: 55-60
- Gurau, F. et al. Anti-senescence compounds: A potential nutraceutical approach to healthy aging. Ageing Research Reviews. 2018; 46: 14-31
- Su, W. et al. Quercetin attentuates spontaneous behavior and spatial memory impairment in d- galactose-treated mice by increasing brain antioxidant capacity. Nutrition Research. 2007; 27(3): 169-175